Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Thoughts From the Tundra Buggy

This is my first day on the tundra buggy. And nothing that I have done in the past quite prepared me for the emotional impact of seeing my first bear in the wild, just a few feet away from where I was standing on the back porch of the tundra buggy.

It was one of those ah-ah moments when the enormity of their precarious situation comes down upon you in a flood and you realize that they are not even aware of it. Here is this magnificent animal graciously giving me this beautiful gift of his presence - allowing me to share his space for a brief time, giving me a glimpse of his world. For a brief period of time he is my polar bear and the fact he chooses to remain close for awhile humbles me to the tips of my toes and bonds me forever to him.

It is a powerful and unforgettable experience. An arctic fox trots by our buggy, zig-zagging across the tundra, completely at ease with our presence. A little later, we spot a snowy owl on a rock who is eyeing a covey of ptarmigan amongst the kelp. The arctic story is playing out right in front of my eyes imparting century's old knowledge and wisdom that only comes from observation and a strong connection to the land.

As I watch it all unfold before me, I am reminded of a quote I think about often. "In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We only love what we understand. We only understand what we are taught."
Babia Dioum (Senegalese Ecologist)

So many of our children today are growing up knowing little of the natural world that surrounds them. It is not something that can be learned from a book or a lecture in just a few minutes. It is something that has to grow on you. It takes time to make this connection through observation and reflection.

The greatest gift we can give our children and the bears is this connection to the natural world and only then will we embrace a culture of sustainability to protect the wild world that is so necessary for our own survival. I invite and challenge all of us to make an investment in our future. Spend time outdoors with your children and give them the opportunity to discover the ultimate gift of life from mother earth.