Sunday, October 23, 2011

Camera and Computer Technology

When I was packing for this trip, I realized that I needed to pack as light as possible. So I made the decision to use only my iPhone and my iPad , though I brought my regular camera for backup. To this date I have not used my regular camera at all.

All my photos and videos have been taken by my iPhone and this blog has been entirely written on my iPad. Unfortunately my Blogpress application crashed after I updated my operalting system on my iPad the day before I left for my trip. I understand that it has been updated but is still awaiting approval by Apple so I'm having to use either Safari or Blogger to write my posts and they cannot post videos. I am also having an issue with the Bluetooth keyboard which is unable to sync with my iPad now, though it syncs well with my iPhone. However, I have learned to use the iPad's keyboard very proficiently so that is also not a major problem.

I also purchased a telephoto lens for my iPhone before I left. It is a manual focus and needs to be used on a tripod. I did some test pictures at home and it took awhile to get the hang of it but the photos came out well in the end. I am hoping to have some time on the tundra buggy next week to use it with the bears. It would be so awesome to have this whole trip documented using only this new technology from Apple.

Speaking of technology, a PBI intern starting today is testing out an awesome new piece of technology. It is a laser that is attached to a camera and hopefully it will be used to take measurements of the polar bears as they're being photographed. It is so exciting to consider the potential of this new technology. It could result in more accurate and less expensive polar bear population surveys. It could mean that getting information would be less invasive for the polar bears in that they wouldn't need to be tranquilized as frequently. This is really cutting edge technology - exciting stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment