Sunday, October 16, 2011

On to Winnipeg, Canada

I woke up this morning and couldn't believe how long this train is. It has to be about 20 cars. I got a delicious breakfast in the dining car but about half way through, the train started swaying and my equilibrium got all messed up and I barely made it back three cars to my roomette. However, I took some medicine for motion-sickness and about four hours later was eating a late lunch and running all over the train again.

I have met the most wonderful people aboard the train - almost all of them are bi-lingual. Besides French and English, there were people speaking German, Portuguese, Spanish, Korean and several other languages. What really impressed me was the number of young people in the 18 - 26 year old range that were either going to or coming back from volunteer environmental service projects from all ove the world. Projects ranged from working with local people in Brazil to save their rain forests to collecting leatherback turtle eggs off the beach in Costa Rica. Everyone was really excited about my trip and I played all the polar bear movies for people on my iPad and gave three complete presentations to other groups. Everyone vowed to get an iPad and they were so fascinated with PBI. Life is awesome,

I took lots of pictures with my iPhone as we passed through small communities and mile after mile of water and pine forest. We got to stretch our legs outside the train in the little community of Hornepayne which was a nice break. It was really cold and started snowing as we were leaving. The one thing we all noticed and talked about was the litter everywhere along the train tracks. A lot of people make their homes alongside the tracks because there are no roads - the train is their lifeline to the outside world. We stopped at so many flag stops along the way - no station - just someone local waving the train down. People have no way to get rid of their junk so it just piles up alongside their home. I think the province should do a junk pickup once a year using the train. It's the only way to address this serious issue.



Flag stop along train route



Conifer forest surrounding lake



Conifer forest at sunset



Conifer forest



View of train from the dome car

No comments:

Post a Comment